Woodfibre boards have a vapour-permeable structure. The areas along the board edges are particularly vulnerable to damage from incorrect handling. PAVATEX boards are packed flat on pallets and have additional protection at corners and exposed surfaces.
For transport, it is important to secure the pallets against sliding or tipping on the cargo deck. If, for example, lashing straps are used to hold the pallets, additional edge protection is essential to avoid damaging the upper sheet edges
To securely load PAVATEX products, it is important to adhere to maximum stack heights:
- Pallets of PAVAFLEX must not be stacked
- If pallets are more than 1.3 metres tall, no more than 2 pallets may be stacked.
- If pallets are less than 1.3 metres tall, up to 4 pallets may be stacked.
While loading and unloading, pay special attention that the forks of the lift do not dent and damage the pallets.
PAVATEX is responsible for pallet loading at PAVATEX plants.
The maximum transport stack heights also apply to storage:
- Pallets of PAVAFLEX must not be stacked
- No more than 2 pallets may be stacked if the pallets are more than 1.3 metres tall.
- Up to 4 pallets may be stacked if the pallets are less than 1.3 metres tall.
Ensure that pallet stacks are aligned and not staggered.
With the exception of ISOLAIR, all PAVATEX-products must be stored in a dry place and protected from moisture. The storage area must be level so that the pallets or pallet stacks are stable and secure.
The guidelines for storage in the also apply for storage of unopened pallets on site. Opened pallets of all PAVATEX products must be suitably protected from the weather.
The insulation boards can be placed (e.g. on the roof) individually or as a unit on the pallet. Normal lifting equipment such as a crane or conveyor belt are used. For PAVATHERM-PLUS and PAVATHERM-COMBI, Pavatex has developed a pallet which can be split. Thanks to this new system, two pallets can be lifted on to the roof together or separately as individual pallets. This provides greater efficiency and flexibility in processing.
Profiled boards increase product stability. For smooth installation of the insulation boards, it is important to treat the board edges with care and avoid damage during use.
PAVATEX insulation boards can break. Boards laid over the rafters must therefore only be stepped on when directly on top of a rafter.
The thicker, rigid woodfibre and roof insulating sarking boards can be easily worked on using common woodworking tools:
- The rigid, woodfibre boards up to 80 mm can be easily cut using handheld circular saws. The blade must have a large number of teeth and run at high cutting speed.
- Use of a reciprocating saw is the easiest and fastest way to cut all thicknesses of PAVATEX insulation boards with a power tool. Use of a wide-toothed saw blade is recommended.
- The mounted chainsaw is another possibility for cutting woodfibre insulation boards up to 200 mm in thickness. A guide rail and appropriate dust collection are required.
- Jigsaws can also be used without difficulty, particularly for trimming or cut-outs. A sharp knife is sufficient for the thin, hard fibre boards (e.g. PAVASTEP).
PAVAFLEX is a flexible insulation board and can be worked with the following cutting tools:
- The PAVATEX insulation knife is suitable for small quantities and limited thicknesses.
- Use of a reciprocating saw is the easiest and fastest way to cut any thickness of PAVATEX insulation boards with a power tool. Recommendation: Serrated blade with little sawdust creation.
- PAVAFLEX can be cut cleanly and almost dust-free with a band saw. Usually, the limiting factor is the small saw table and narrow width of cut.
- The hand-held circular saw is also suitable for PAVAFLEX. Tip: Use of dust extraction and wearing a dust mask for protection against dust.
Final attachment of PAVATEX insulation boards to the roof is done with counter battens. The counter battens are attached using either normal or twin thread screws through the insulation and sheathing directly into the rafters. Depending upon the screw manufacturer, driver bits may help to achieve the correct angle. Tile battens are attached to the counter battens for installation of roofing tiles. The horizontal batten spacing is dependent on the technical requirements of the roofing tile. The quantity and size of screws must be determined in accordance with the screw manufacturer‘s specifications and country-specific standards.
The type of fixing depends on the particular substrate to which the PAVATEX products are fixed:
- Timber substrate (solid timber elements and timber frame construction): Staples or screws.
- Masonry substructure : Screws with wall plugs or supplementary adhesive beads at edges.
The woodfibre insulation boards are fixed with stainless-steel wide crown staples. This fixing method is only suitable for timber construction. It is characterized by very fast fixing – especially inoff-site prefabrication.
Wide-crown staples , especially those developed and tested inhousespecifically for woodfibre insulation boards such as DIFFUTHERM, are used here.
Depending on the application, work is carried out using screws with universal or specially-developed thread geometry for timber construction, so-called twin-thread screws, when fixing PAVATEX insulation materials.
The quantity and size of screws must be determined in accordance with the screw manufacturer's specifications and country-specific standards.
The PAVATEX woodfibre insulation boards such as DIFFUTHERM can be attached with special wall plugs. The wall plug is screwed in flush with the surface of the woodfibre insulation board. The screw must penetrate at least 30 mm into the load-bearing substructure. The quantity and size of screws must be determined in accordance with the screw manufacturer's specifications and country-specific standards.
PAVATEX insulation boards meet all environmental requirements, from manufacture to disposal.
That is why undamaged boards (e.g. PAVATHERM or ISOLAIR) can always be re-used. Otherwise, PAVATEX woodfibre boards can also be utilised for thermal energy generation.
For certain products, there is also the possibility of composting the boards. Information on composting or disposal can be found in the product data sheets.
The pallet wood can be utilized thermally. Packaging film is considered to be waste and must be disposed of in accordance with waste regulations.